Today I finished my edit, tidied up the footage as much as I could, edited the audio as much as I could, and also color corrected the shots that I was able.
I am very disappointed with the quality of footage, partly this was because I did not spend enough time practicing, mostly however I feel it the main issue was trying to get stable shots of moving animals.
In future I will schedule LOTS more time for shooting the wildlife itself, as I would have been able to capture lots more shots with a few more hours on location. I will also always double check my kit to make sure I have spare batteries and SD cards as this will maximize shoot times once on location.
I have also created a very simple Lower third, to introduce my contributors.
Although I was taught how to do this by a tutor this year, I watched a simple tutorial on how to extract components from after FX with a transparent background in order to place it onto my documentary, however I still struggled to do this as I was short on time, and so I added titles on using premiere instead, which will not have the same effect.
The link is below:
I have found the edit difficult, mainly due to the quality and stability of the images, however there is minimum negative effect on continuity, and I’m happy that i achieved my main target, which was to produce a documentary using interviews and a voice over to present a narrative. The documentary is informative, but may not reach its target as it is not very aesthetically pleasing.
Nick, a tutor in my college very kindly agree’d to record my voice-over for me. His accent, tone of voice, and professional way of speaking, made the quality of the voice over, and the effectiveness a lot higher than before.
The shots are coming together nicely, along with the archive footage.
The need for archive footage has effected the over all look of my documentary, which I am upset about. However, I was unable to capture all of the shots I needed and so the archive was necessary. I have tried to limit it as much as possible.
In future I will work more closely with a shot list, in order to ensure I have captured all of the shots necessary.
Moreover, some of my shots have been over exposed, or the focus has been in auto mode, meaning the mages seem to ‘blur’ in and out. This has effected how much of each shot I am able to use in my documentary, and has made the length of time needed for editing, is longer than anticipated, as I have spent a lot of time, tidying up shots.
On top of all this, in the future I need to ensure I spend more time organising my shots and renaming them, as the amount of different folders from different shoots, also takes up a lot of time when looking for certain shots. I also believe this has led to a few crucial shots being lost, meaning that more archive was needed.
Overall, the look of my documentary is not as high quality as I hoped, but I believe I understand why each shot is not as effective as I would have liked, I have learned a lot from the production of this documentary, and now will be aware of areas I need to focus on in the future.
I have started to edit my timeline again, using the updated script and the final cutaway shots from Formby.
The continuity seems to be a lot smoother, and the new shots worked very well to link the shots together.
I have also had to gather some archive footage, and have recorded the sources of these shots. However I had some issues with recording the voice over, which is essential to link the interviews, as I was suffering from a sore throat, and this, along with my strong accent and tone of voice, did not seem to work very well with the shots.
I spoke to a friend, Oce Spike, who agreed to come into college, on Monday 12th June to record the voice-over for me.
At the same time one of my tutors had arranged with another tutor to help me out, as he has a very professional manor.
I have started to edit together the footage I have.
However, I am missing vital cutaway shots, and one interview.
Moreover the editing process has made me wonder if the continuity of the structure I have gone for will be difficult to achieve
I wanted to alternate between the two main contributors throughout the documentary, however this is proving difficult to co-ordinate.
I am going to re-draft my script to see if the continuity will be stronger if I talk about grey squirrels first, and the reds second, keeping the two interviews apart.
**I redrafted the script and decided editing this way would make my finished product less interesting, and so I have redrafted the script again, so I can still cut in and out of the different contributors. I have also scheduled a final shoot on 7th June, to gain final cut away shots. ** Other issues have arisen with the scripting and narrative. See documentary plan.